What is Nouns : The name of a person , place , thing or an animal are called nouns. They are called naming words also.
- My mother went to market.
- The dogs bark.
- Milk is good for health.
- Beauty is praised everywhere.
All the above highlighted words are nouns as they are names of person , place , animal and thing.
Kinds of Nouns
There are six kinds of nouns
Proper Nouns :
The names of a particular person , place, thing or an animal are called proper nouns.
- Sheena is my best friend.
- Delhi is the capital of India.
- Gulliver’s Travel is a famous novel.
- Black Berry is a brand of cell phones.
All the above highlighted Nonu words are proper nouns as they are special names of person , place , animal or thing.
The same kind of names of person , place or thing are called common Nouns.
- The boys play cricket in the field.
- Meerut is a big city.
- Dev knows how to speak the French language.
- We all eat food to live.
All the above highlighted noun words are common nouns as they are same kind of person , place or thing.
The names of a collection of persons , places , thing or animals are called collective Nouns.
- Our team played well yesterday.
- Neha saw a flock of sheep.
- The boy eats a bunch of grapes everyday.
- A gang of robbers is caught by the police.
All the above highlighted noun words are collective nouns as they are same kind of person , place animals or thing.
The names of thing that are made up of substances are called material Nouns.
- The baby cries for milk.
- My new almirah is made of wood.
- The chapati is made from flour.
- There are two bags of cement in the room.
All the above highlighted nouns are material Nouns as they are names of substances.
The names of feelings , qualities , actions or states are called abstract nouns.
- Honesty is the best policy.
- Bitter gourd is known for its bitterness.
- We should have humanity.
- Socrates was known for his wisdom.
All the above highlighted nouns are abstract Nouns as they are names of qualities , feelings , actions or states.
Countable and Uncountable Nouns
The nouns that can be counted are called countable nouns. The nouns that cannot be counted are called uncountable nouns.
- The girls are dancing well.
- I have two red pens.
- Sugar tastes sweet.
- Water is necessary to live.
In sentence 1, 2 highlighted nouns are countable nouns. In sentence 3 and 4 highlighted words are uncountable nouns.
Note : There are no plural forms of material Nouns.
Function Of Noun
The noun is also used as a subject, a direct object, and an indirect object; As an object of a preposition; And as adverbs or adjectives in sentences.
Subject : The company is doing amazing.
Direct object: I finally bought a new car.